Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk?
Sep 18, 2002

Dear Ms. Breuer,

You repeatedly say that dried blood does not transmit HIV. What if an "evil" person cuts himself with a sharp object and uses the same object to cut another person before the blood dries? What are the risks?

The following scenario is what happened to me. As I was out of a bar, a drunk guy came along and somehow we shook hands (i was not very drunk). He did not let my hand go and held it firmly, and I had to use force to get my hand out of this handshake. The next morning, I discover a small (1 mm. long) paper cut on the knuckle of my fourth finger. Now I am quite worried, because two scenarios come to my mind:

1. The guy cut me with something that had his blood on during the handshake,

2. I already had the cut before the handshake (probable - because I was working with papers all day doing a survey with people), and somehow he had blood on his hands - and we managed to have an exchange.

What do you think my risks are? Are there such evil people giving other people HIV+ blood? (ie. needles in cinema seats)

Thank you very much for your response. I should add that I have had an HIV scare in the 3 months before this incident (two negative tests), and have a feeling that stress and fear caused by these tests have made me paranoid. Am I right? Should I worry about this incident?

Response from Ms. Breuer

If I were you, I wouldn't spend much time in bars. You're jump-starting your anxieties there.

Most HIV transmissions are the responsibility of people who are not evil, but sloppy. The case you describe is not a transmission scenario. If he had cut himself, had HIV and was deliberately cutting you, you would have been assaulted with a weapon. Most people being assaulted with a weapon know it. It hurts right away. Yes, I think your fears are in the fast lane. If you're concerned about possible transmission from "evil people" in bars, find another way to socialize that doesn't give your imagination the same kind of exercise. And please don't pay attention to the tabloid stories about needles in cinema seats. When it comes to something as serious and important as HIV, you deserve real news from real newspapers.

Previous
HIV admittance
Next
My peer councelor is a tattle tale

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.