Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

clean needlestick through bloody glove
Sep 18, 2002

I am a nurse and I have a question concerning HIV transmission. In December, I was placing an IV in a patient wearing gloves. During the procedure, I got a small amount of blood on my gloves. I proceeded to draw blood off the IV for blood tests which probably took 1-2 minutes. When I was drawing up a saline flush, I accidently pricked by finger with a clean needle. My question is if the needle passed through an area where blood was present, what are the chances of HIV transmission. I immediately took off my gloves and washed my hands. I did bleed but the place where I was pricked you could barely see and the needle was a 23gauge needle. I know HIV does not live outside the body very long. If the amount of blood was small should the blood have been dried by then? I did not report this incident because it was a clean needle. Then I started to think maybe there might have been blood on my glove where I stuck myself. Please answer because it really worries me. Thanks.

Response from Ms. Breuer

The scenario you describe sounds as though you indeed were dealing with dried blood on the glove. I have never heard of an infection resulting from blood punched through a clean glove, and you managed the situation well with your immediate handwashing. Please put your mind at ease by discussing this with the infection control person at your workplace.

Previous
worried mom
Next
HIV admittance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.