worried mom

Nancy -- I am currently receiving treatment for OCD. Most of my fears involve contamination. I'm working hard to not act on my compulsions, but an incident that happened about 6 months ago is staying in my mind.

I'm a teacher and I took my then-2-1/2-year-old son with me on a field trip. One of the foreign students (a Thai male in his late 20's) picked up my son and blew loud "raspberries" on his bare belly several times before I could stop him. My son had some bug bites on his stomach that I know were a bit itchy to him. I don't THINK there were open cuts on the bites, but they were irritated. I think the student's mouth was NEAR the bites, rather than on them, but again, I'm not 100 sure. My son also did have a cut in his mouth (fresh that morning), and did touch his stomach and then put his fingers in his mouth, probably a couple times (as all 2-year-olds do.)

I can't stop thinking about the POSSIBILITY of my son having contracted HIV or some other disease. I don't want to involve my son in my compulsions, so I haven't had him tested for HIV. I need a professional opinion about any risk. I can see clearly on my own.

Thank your for your time and understanding.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Surely your OCD makes this even more difficult to manage. I regret that managing my own medical situation over recent months has delayed my response to you.

The situation you describe is not an HIV transmission scenario. The only body fluid potentially involved is saliva. Saliva does not transmit HIV.

I hope the "raspberries" made your son laugh. And I hope that you can laugh, too. This is not a disease transmission scenario.

Pre-Employment Medical Questionnaire and Disclosure of HIV
clean needlestick through bloody glove