LTD vs. Soc.Sec. Issue

Hi, This is a wonderful forum and has helped me tremendously thank you. I was recently approved for LTD benefits (UNUM) They in turn are requiring me to file for S.S. and if approved will reduce the dollar amount they pay by what SS will pay ME AND my dependents. What is the reasoning behind this? Just for (UNUM) to get out of paying so much? unfortunately I always thought that LTD would be on top of SS as long as it didn't go over 100 of what I made. It just seems to me Alot of people would be better off just filing for SS rahter then exposing themselves to insurance co's for what in my case turns out to be 160 bucks a month. Did I just miss the boat completely? It seems to me most people I talk to assumed the same thing and were very surprised by it. Isn't there some kind of disclosure law out there?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am sorry but UNUM is correct. In a group policy, long term disability (LTD) benefits are offset by Social Security benefits. I am sure this was explained in the summary plan description you have for the plan.

Individual Insurance policies and HIPPA
Just Accepted A New Job Offer