Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LTD vs. Soc.Sec. Issue
Sep 3, 2002

Hi, This is a wonderful forum and has helped me tremendously thank you. I was recently approved for LTD benefits (UNUM) They in turn are requiring me to file for S.S. and if approved will reduce the dollar amount they pay by what SS will pay ME AND my dependents. What is the reasoning behind this? Just for (UNUM) to get out of paying so much? unfortunately I always thought that LTD would be on top of SS as long as it didn't go over 100 of what I made. It just seems to me Alot of people would be better off just filing for SS rahter then exposing themselves to insurance co's for what in my case turns out to be 160 bucks a month. Did I just miss the boat completely? It seems to me most people I talk to assumed the same thing and were very surprised by it. Isn't there some kind of disclosure law out there?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am sorry but UNUM is correct. In a group policy, long term disability (LTD) benefits are offset by Social Security benefits. I am sure this was explained in the summary plan description you have for the plan.

Previous
Individual Insurance policies and HIPPA
Next
Just Accepted A New Job Offer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.