Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
News Alert > HIV Relapse in Cured Mississippi Child

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CPR Training and Use
Aug 8, 2002

Today I went to do CPR training with the American Red Cross as a requirement to renew my teaching credential.

I was concerned to see that in the opening section of their training manual, they state that people who are HIV + should request a separate training manakin.

Why do they ask this? HIV is not passed through saliva as far as I know.

Secondly, if I face a situation where I might need to deliver CPR, should I? Do good samaritan laws protect HIV + people delivering the procedure?

Thanks!

Response from Ms. Breuer

Ah, the irrationality of the mannikin issue. I'll seek to answer this one with what I believe is the inner logic, but do not construe my answer as Red Cross policy. I do not speak for the Red Cross or represent their policies, and I disagree with the advice in the manual. I believe it's there because they don't want people refusing to take CPR training out of fear of having to share a mannikin with someone with HIV.

The separate mannikin is, of course, completely unnecessary. HIV is not transmitted through saliva. Go with your own blend of conscience and logic on this one.

As to delivering CPR, you would be at far more risk from the injury victim than anyone would be from you. Here's my recommendation on actually doing CPR as a person with HIV. If there is blood around the mouth, take EVERY precaution to protect yourself from that blood. You cannot afford reinfection or exposure to hepatitis B or C. You don't pose any more risk to that person as a rescuer than you pose to the mannikin.

Good Samaritan laws function this way: if you save someone's life doing CPR and accidentally crack a rib while you're doing it, and the person is enough of a crank to sue you, the judge is highly likely to throw out the case if you performed within the limits of what you have been taught and certified to do. In short, if you did CPR, you will be fine. If you attempted a tracheotomy and killed the patient because you forgot to go to med school first, you are unlikely to be covered by Good Samaritan laws. Makes sense?

Previous
New Job
Next
Individual Insurance policies and HIPPA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.