The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another Hippa question
Jul 13, 2002

I htink yiu hae abnswererd similar questions, but I need to know about this.

I am a 39 yr old employee with a group insurance poilicy. I was diagnosed with cancer and HIV in Dec. 2000. I am cancer free, and the HIV is under control with meds. The insurance was grear. I have an oppotunity to change jobs. I would go from one group policy to another, with no break in job or insurance. So, even with a pre-existing condition (HIV) and a recent illness (cancer), am I correct in thinking that I will be covered for the HIV meds I need, and any further cancer issues (if that happens), in the new job? Does life insurance coverage work the same way? I would be leaving one group life ins. policy for another group life insurance policy. Thanks for helping me clarify this.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you take a new job and the employer offers health and life insurance under group programs, you would be eligible for health coverage and life insurance. Even if the new health plan has a pre-existing condition clause, your period of coverage under your prior employer's plan would count towards that period and it cannot exceed 12 months. However, you cannot have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days for these rules to apply. This means that if your new employer has a waiting period, you should take COBRA from your prior employer to guarantee that you have no break in coverage.

work knowing about meds
Hep C tansmission Through blood to eye

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint