Eligibility/Enrollment gap

Hi, I'll be eligible soon for group health insurance with my new employer. The thing is, the amount I'll have to contribute is higher than the premiums I'm currently paying for my COBRA policy. I'd rather stay on COBRA until it runs out next year, then sign up for coverage with my new employer. Can I have that kind of gap between the time I became eligible and the time I enrolled? There would be no gap in coverage going from COBRA to the the new plan, but will waiting so long to sign up affect anything? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You need to check your new employer's health plan's summary plan description. Loss of other coverage (in this case when your COBRA ceases) should be considered a status change and allow you to enroll at that time.

Should I quit insurance to get ADAP
Company changing health care provider.