Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THE INS. CO. HAS TERMINATED OUR HEALTH INS. AT WORK
Jul 13, 2002

I RECEIVED A 30 DAY NOTICE THAT MY COMPANY'S HEALTH INS. WAS BEING TERMINATED BY THE INS. CO. I HAVE BREAST CANCER AND JUST FINISHED CHEMO. I AM DUE FOR CHECK UPS WITH 3 DOCTORS. WHAT DO I DO? AM I ELIGIBLE FOR COBRA AND WHAT IS THE PREMIUM? I KNOW COBRA IS EXPENSIVE. HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF THIS IS TRUE ABOUT THE INS. BEING TERMINATED. I AM THE ONLY EMPLOYEE THAT HAS RECEIVED A TERMINATION LETTER FROM THE INS. CO. I KNOW THAT LEGALLY THE INS. CO. CANNOT TERMINATE ONE PERSON. THIS WHOLE DEAL SOUNDS WRONG. WE ARE OWNED BY A SMALL COMPANY AND ONLY A FEW ARE INSURED. PLEASE ADVISE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I LIVE IN TENN. THANKS.jhjones@

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If the insurance company that your employer was using has cancelled the coverage and your employer is no longer offering health insurance, you have no COBRA rights. However, you do have HIPAA rights. If you have not been without coverage for more than 63 days, any insurance carrier in Tennessee that offers individual coverage must sell you a policy and even if that policy has a pre-existing condition clause, that clause cannot be for more than 12 months and must recognize your period of prior coverage towards that 12 months. You will have to contact an insurance broker to determine what is available and the cost.

Previous
hiv and misplaced nursed
Next
Should I quit insurance to get ADAP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.