The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing in another State without my insurance
Jul 13, 2002

Dearest Experts, Any advice you can give me, I remain indebted to you forever. I am very scared and confused. I live in NJ and have just recieved private individual health insurance through HMO. I am unsure of my status. I really wanted to go see an ID doctor to have them run some tests on me that i would like to pay for without using my insurance but i fear that going for this in New Jersey might send a red flag to my private insurance even if i dont use it when i go for my testing and they will cancel my policy. Is it possible to go to another state such as Penn or Delaware or Connecticut and see an ID doctor without using my insurance. If i dont use my insurance when i test out of state; i.e. out of New Jersey, can my insurance still find out and cancel my policy since it is brand new. I would much rather have a specialist test me and look me over than go to an anonymous testing center and wonder if i can be satisfied with the results. Please help me, I am sure that others at this site might have the same concern. Thanks a million. You are all angels.


Response from Ms. Franzoi

You already have the insurance and there is no medical record prior to getting this insurance of your HIV status. I would recommend that you get tested anonymously. If you are positive, you should use your HMO. Your confidentiality is mandated by federal law.

New Job. Can I cut it?
False Positive for Marijuana

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint