Moving to SF - No employer coverage

Hi. I'm moving to SF from NY. Currently I'm insured through a NY state program (I'm a graduate student who works for SUNY), and receive additional coverage through NY ADAP. My partner recently took a job in SF and is moving there. His employer does not offer domestic partners benefits.

I am not planning to work full time in SF (I am finishing a dissertation). What are my options for health coverage in CA? Are individual policies available for HIV+? Are they outrageously expensive? Does ADAP provide coverage for labs, doctor visits, etc.?

Thanks.

Response from Ms. Donnelly

I am going to refer the part of your question that has to do with private insurance options to a colleague. In terms of ADAP, you would most likely be eligible for the California ADAP. However, although it covers a broad spectrum of HIV related medications, it does not cover labs or doctor's visits. California also has a diagnostic assay assistance program that might cover your cd4 and resistance tests. That program is generally accessed through public health clinics. You might be eligible to see a doctor through the SF public health network. Many of these clinics provide good HIV care but, of course, there can be waiting periods for appointments etc.

If you have further questions regarding your move, call the Project Inform Hotline at 1-800-822-7422 for assistance with local resources.

HIV specialists
SSDI INFO