Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FMLA and accommodation
Feb 5, 2001

I recently wrote you about whether missing more than the standard 12 days per year my new employer allows would fall under reasonable accommodation. I have read all of your previous responses regarding FMLA and "reasonable accommodation" but none quite answer my question. My problem is that I am a new employee and I understand that FMLA does not take effect until after the first year of employment. If I miss too much time due to HIV medication related fatigue am I protected by the ADA during my first year of employment while on probation? Also, my employer lumps all vacation hours and sick hours in one basket. If I miss time due to my HIV condition it will suck up all of my vacation hours. They say any hours missed must come out of my vacation. Can I address this with my employer? If I am not allowed to take vacation because of having to use all of my hours for my disability, is not this a form of discrimination? Thank you

Response from Ms. Gabriel

You are right that the FMLA requires an employee to have one year of service before being eligible to take the leave. Your question about reasonable accommodation falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Here's the way a request for reasonable accommodation can work successfully: talk with your healthcare provider about your job functions and any limitations your current health situation poses. For instance, does your fatigue require that you miss the entire work day or would taking a nap during the day help? Have your doctor write a note for your employer (human resources director) stating that your are under his/her care for a disability (if you haven't disclosed your HIV status make sure the note doesn't mention it). The note should list any functional limitations (to your job) that your health situation poses.

3. Take the note to your human resources director and discuss potential reasonable accommodation (ideally, your healthcare provider should be a part of this conversation). Have this conversation soon.

Please understand that in order to be covered by the ADA you must be able to complete the essential functions of your job. If your health situation requires you to be absent from work so frequently that you are not able to complete the job you were hired to do, you would not be covered. Remember -- your ability to do your job is what your employer is required to evaluate.

Please take care of yourself and good luck!

Lynne Gabriel

Previous
Pre-employment drug testing and HIV implications
Next
test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.