Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re:Job Performance Issues
Jan 29, 2002

Hi Nancy -

Thank you for your response from Jan. 14.

Progress report: No change at work yet. It has taken considerable time to get back to the doctor and complete the second and third round of lab test. After being on trizivir for 6 weeks now, tcell count has gone from 149 to 306, and virals from > 750000 to 909. I feel somewhat better, but am still concerned about maintaining and increasing health.

Assuming my doctor's support would be needed to go on disability, I asked him about it yesterday and he said, 'we don't do that anymore, this disease is different that it was 5 or even 3 years ago, and people very rarely die of HIV anymore.' Well that's great to hear, as long as health improves and I have insurance.

My next step will now be to talk to our aids resouce center and find a benefits counselor.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply and your contributions.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Hmmm--I'm not crazy about the response you received from your physician. Yes, treatment has improved considerably, but disability leave is not exclusively an anteroom to death. People who need time to adjust to new medication regimens also sometimes use disability leave to do so. So please get in touch with us right away if you find yourself in a situation where you believe that disability leave is your best option to deal with whatever you're facing.

You're taking all the right steps. Congratulations! Clearly, you have HIV, but it doesn't have you. Strength to you!

Previous
Thank you and research on HIV/AIDS in workplace continues
Next
What to do? Part II (First question answered on 1/22)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.