Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

luv it but it's killing me
Jan 22, 2002

My question is should a poz person working in the health field continue to stay helping others when they are having a hard time helping themselves. Being surrounded by the sickly and witnessing other hiv pts getting treated with such disrespect are some of my reasons forleaving this field.Mentally it is draining me, phsically its exhaughting and mostly emotionally it having to put myself through all this when this should be the time to take better care of myself. I love my job but should I be killing myself for it?

Response from Ms. Breuer

You sound as though you want to leave and want us to tell you that's a good idea. There are several ways to respond when an HIV-positive patient is being disrespected. One is to become discouraged. The other is to provide excellent, respectful care yourself (thus making a difference) and to speak up, objecting to substandard care when it's given to anyone (thus making a bigger difference). If you feel as though this is killing you, perhaps you would discover a whole new feeling about it if you spoke up and insisted on respectful care for HIV patients. Who knows what could happen after that?

Previous
What to do?
Next
Please advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.