ERISA Laws

After my former employer filed bankruptcy I am now left with no CCOBRA insurance. The ERISA (Employee Retirement Income Security Act?) laws are such that I am no longer covered because there is no longer a group policy. Same with disability and life insurance. What Security exactally does this law provide? Who in Congress is in charge of what comittee that I can contact about this? I am now left with SSI income and that will not allow me to pay even my basic bills and still eat. What is wrong with our system? How is it that I can pay for years and now have no insurance due to the neglect of my former employer?

Your response will be appricated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Federal law protects your rights with the employer as long as that employer remains in existence. However, if a company goes under, there is no company for the government to force to continue coverage. Unfortunately, this can leave disabled individuals without coverage except for government programs.

Lynn L. Franzoi

Recently diagnosed and confused about insurance issues
Denied Salary