The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to retire?
Nov 20, 2000

Thank you so much for providing this forum. What you do is a God send and you are appreciated everyday.

Here is my situation: After struggling with HIV for many years, according to the latest technology available to determine viral resistance, my doctor has learned that the virus I am carrying has become resistant to all available medications. My CD4 is dropping but still above 200. This past spring I contracted a rather severe case of shingles and have 2 subsequent outbreaks and continuous postherpetic neuralgia ever since. On some days the pain is so bad I can't bear it and on other days I hardly notice it. Other problems: Fatigue (can't seem to get enough sleep) and very obvious lipodystrophy, esp in my face. So long story short, I am no longer able to conceal my HIV. It's evident in my appearance and in my energy level. People everyday are asking what's wrong with me.

My Question: Should I try and hang in there and continue to work or is it time to retire?

I would really value your opinion.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This a decision that only you can make. You should evaluate the impact on your physical and mental health if you continue to work as compared to the value to you of remaining in the workforce. You should also evaluate the financial aspects of both options.

My suggestion to you is to write down the pros and cons of remaining at work and the pros and cons of reitring. Then do whichever would work best for you.

Lynn L. Franzoi

HIV/HBV pre-existing condition?
Staying with same company, changing insurance plans?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint