When to retire?

Thank you so much for providing this forum. What you do is a God send and you are appreciated everyday.

Here is my situation: After struggling with HIV for many years, according to the latest technology available to determine viral resistance, my doctor has learned that the virus I am carrying has become resistant to all available medications. My CD4 is dropping but still above 200. This past spring I contracted a rather severe case of shingles and have 2 subsequent outbreaks and continuous postherpetic neuralgia ever since. On some days the pain is so bad I can't bear it and on other days I hardly notice it. Other problems: Fatigue (can't seem to get enough sleep) and very obvious lipodystrophy, esp in my face. So long story short, I am no longer able to conceal my HIV. It's evident in my appearance and in my energy level. People everyday are asking what's wrong with me.

My Question: Should I try and hang in there and continue to work or is it time to retire?

I would really value your opinion.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

This a decision that only you can make. You should evaluate the impact on your physical and mental health if you continue to work as compared to the value to you of remaining in the workforce. You should also evaluate the financial aspects of both options.

My suggestion to you is to write down the pros and cons of remaining at work and the pros and cons of reitring. Then do whichever would work best for you.

Lynn L. Franzoi

HIV/HBV pre-existing condition?
Staying with same company, changing insurance plans?