The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When should I tell??
Jan 11, 2002

I'm a flight attendant and as you know taking meds for HIV can cause some daily issues such as pill taking and side effects. when should I tell my employer if my meds should interfere with my work??

thanks so much, T.Vick

Response from Ms. Breuer

If you drop the first word of your question, you'll have the question I plan to answer.

Your diagnosis is your business. There is no point at which you have to disclose to your employer. The question the law asks is whether you are able to fulfill all of the essential functions of your job, with or without reasonable accommodation. If you can do the job--all of it--then case closed, as I understand it. If you have side effects that limit your ability to fulfill your essential functions, then brainstorm with your doc about changes in your work schedule or routine that could allow you to continue working while you learn to manage the side effects. The ideas you develop become a note to your employer from your doc. It DOES NOT give your diagnosis. It says you are under your doc's care and your doc requests consideration of the following reasonable accommodations.

The note does not go to your supervisor. It goes to your HR person, or your union shop steward, whoever typically negotiates reasonable accommodation requests for your employer.

That's a lot of information at once, but since your employer probably doesn't provide workplace HIV education that covers these things, we get to do this person by person on a website. Please write again if you have more questions!

Safe journeys.

Disclosure of prescriptions at work
Is HIV a disability

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint