EMPLOYER DENIED HEALTH COVERAGE DUE TO ONE HIV+ EMPLOYEE

I am the HR Manager of a home health company with about 100 employees. Our current health insurance carrier is leaving our state so we must find new coverage. An employee shared with me that he is HIV+. As I complete applications for quotes from new insurance carriers, they state that I must disclose any health conditions of which I am aware so I have noted that we have an HIV+ employee. EVERY SINGLE HEALTH INSURANCE CARRIER HAS REFUSED TO EVEN GIVE US A QUOTE!!!! This is so unfair - they are discriminating against our employee and our group. I would never dream of discriminating against our employee but the health insurance industry can. I am now forced to explore other more costly alternatives (namely self-insurance). All of our employees will now have to pay a much higher premium due to the health condition of one employee. Is there anything in the works to prevent health insurance companies from discriminating like this? Is there anything I can do right now to help my situation? Any other advice? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Are you checking with HMO's? I would contact an insurance broker to help you with this. A group of 100 seems to be sufficient to allow you to purchase coverage. If you are in California, I suggest that you contact Blue Cross as I know they have extended their small group plans to companies that have an employee with a serious illness.

Lynn L. Franzoi

Am I disabled??
Insurance Limits