Handshake (I'll not ask again)

This is both frightening & embarrassing for me, but I must ask again. You stated 12-31-01, per my "handshake question" that --- we don't have to give into it (fear). Am I correct that regardless, of cuts, nicks on ones hands or who has a bandage or who is HIV+, that handshaking is not any risk for HIV? I am really having have difficulty w/ this issue and what to let it go and more fully understand my risk factor,if any, when shaking hands. Thank you so much for your reply and kindness; my thanks falls way short of what you are doing.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Handshaking is not any risk for transmitting HIV unless you're both bleeding from open wounds and "smush" the HIV+ person's blood into your bloodstream. You'd make medical history. And actively bleeding people are generally more concerned about the bleeding than about the social nicety of shaking hands.

Risk at the doctor's office
RE: doctor's office