Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV are forbidden in certain areas?
Aug 6, 1997

Certain kinds of occupation are not allowed for person with HIV (PWH) it seems. Should there be any kind of punishmentss if the applicants did not reveal the fact that he or she is infected? What if he or she got infected after having the job for a while?

Response from Ms. Breuer

The question is very broad. I am not aware of "certain kinds of occupations not allowed for persons with HIV." Apart from the U.S. Military, which tests applicants for military service and denies enlistment for HIV-positive recruits, I do not know what areas the questioner might be addressing. For health care workers who do invasive procedures, the local hospital usually sets those standards. As to sanctions, the question does not tell us what the desired outcome of such sanctions would be. I'm confused by the question. If a person becomes infected after having the job for a while, then the issue is not the diagnosis; it is the person's performance on the job. Is the person able to perform the essential functions of the job up to the employer's standards? If so, the diagnosis should be irrelevant.

Please send me additional information if this response does not address the question.

-- Nancy Breuer

Previous
Can doctors have HIV?
Next
Meal Assistant in Nursing Home

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.