Work Place Concerns

I am a Rehabilitation Counselor who is trying to help a client with AIDS to return to work. Are there any specific limitations in physical activities or working conditions that we should be concerned with?

Response from Ms. Breuer

If there are any limitations or restrictions on any particular person with AIDS, those would come from the person's treating physician. They might include the person's need for use of a secure refrigerator at work to store medications, for example, or freedom to leave a production line at regular intervals to take medications. All of those are individual, so I cannot give you examples that would apply across the board. I suggest that you recommend to your client that s/he obtain a letter from the treating physician that clearly states any limitations on the person's activities, but does not state the diagnosis. If your client were to need reasonable accommodation at work, that letter would be the basis for working out the accommodation with the human resources or employee health representative at work.

Nancy Breuer

blood in the eyes
How can I help the person with HIV/AIDs?