Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible contraction through dish-washing?
Dec 11, 1998

Perhaps this is a sign of America's ignorance of this virus, but I have a question concerning a man I've met. He contracted HIV and since has had trouble finding work due to the stigma attached to his condition. He has asked me and my roomates for possible work to help him pay for the required medicines. Being college students, we can't afford much, but were thinking of offering him a job as a dishwasher in our home. As far as I know, contracting HIV through that type of contact is very unlikely. However, before we offer him this position, I would like to know more about the risks involved.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Hire him! He needs the work and you need the clean dishes. There is no risk of HIV transmission in the situation you describe, whether he washes the dishes, joins you for dinner, or even prepares the food. HIV is transmitted only through unprotected sex or needle-sharing with an infected person, receiving a contaminated blood product, or being born to an infected mother. Your question doesn't propose that any of those be part of the job. If he cuts himself while washing the dishes, he--and you--would need to take the precautions you would take around any human blood: avoid direct (skin) contact with it and clean it up with a disinfectant. But that would be true for an HIV negative dishwasher, too.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
HIV Positive Health Care Workers
Next
Foodservice workers: HIV+ & Hepititis B or C.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.