Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV transmission between children
Dec 31, 1998

I'm researching the topic of HIV and transmission between children who are playmates and/or classmates. I have not found any documented cases of an infected child transmitting the virus to someone else, even a sibling. I am a teacher and would like to be able to argue for having children who are infected remain in school. I need as many facts as I can get. Also, is there an actual figure on what the chances of transmission through a bite would be? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is an important question. You are right; there are no documented cases of transmission between children, to my knowledge. The December 1997 CDC AIDS Surveillance Report, figure 7, lists 2 children who were exposed to HIV-infected blood in a household setting and 10 who were infected by an adult. The law is on your side; several rulings under the ADA have made it clear that a school may not exclude a child who has HIV for that reason. The biting scenario is unlikely, and if you think about it, the person at risk is the biter, not the bitee. Getting blood in the mouth is a potential exposure to the whole range of bloodborne viruses, of which HIV is the most difficult to transmit. No, there are no calculations on the risk that I know of; we'd have to call it theoretical risk at this point. There is no sound reason to remove an HIV+ child from school just because of HIV. You can get more help from the CDC National AIDS Hotline, 1.800.232.4636.

Nancy Breuer

Previous
EXPOSURE CONCERN
Next
RISK OF EXPOSURE - TOOL SHARING

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.