EXPOSURE CONCERN

Recently I visited a planned parenthood clinic.The nurse,after she wore the gloves touched the stirrups that had knitted covers on them,the one we put our legs on for examination. Then she did a pelvic exam on me with the same gloves.Could I get infected in anyway.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Let's walk through this question by posing a series of questions: Let's assume that you have looked up the information at this website about how HIV is transmitted. Which of the four potentially infectious fluids--blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk--do you believe could be on the knitted covers? How likely is it that any of those four fluids could still have been so fresh (unexposed to oxygen for more than a few seconds) that the nurse could have come in contact with any HIV that might still be viable in that fluid? Would having a pelvic exam done (I agree it's no fun, but it's not one of the four ways of transmitting HIV, either) put you at risk? This is a great time to let your logic serve you. You have not come in contact with an infectious fluid, and you have not engaged in any behavior that put you at risk of HIV infection.

Nancy Breuer

hiv + food service workers
HIV transmission between children