hiv + food service workers

I am writing a term paper on the implications and public risks of HIV+ workers in the food service industry. Can you give so insight on resources I should access to help me with this issue?

Response from Ms. Gabriel

Your question is a good one with a fairly simple answer. An HIV+ person working in food service poses no more risk to the public than does any other employee -- if safety procedures (OSHA guidelines) are being properly adhered to and the workplace has received adequate training in first aid (and ideally, HIV transmission.) Keep in mind that safety regulations and guidelines are designed to keep everyone in the workplace safe, since chances are you don't know who may have what. Recent estimates indicate that 50% of the people in the United States that are infected with HIV don't even know it themselves. And don't forget about those people with Hepatitis B and C, which are transmitted the same way as HIV.

Lynne Gabriel

workplace transmission
EXPOSURE CONCERN