How about HCV in the workplace?

Firefighter diagnosed with HCV. Employers want GUARANTEE that I cannot spread the disease before they let me back to work. How can I guaranty no-one else will get it when I don't even know how many others may already be infected through their own exposure.

Response from Ms. Breuer

You ask a very intelligent question that your union needs to know about; it sounds as though you are being asked for the impossible. You cannot guarantee that you will not transmit a bloodborne infection because you cannot guarantee that your colleagues will use universal precautions, but you can point out that co-workers who use universal precautions--as firefighters are trained to do--are protecting themselves adequately in case of exposure to your blood or anyone else's blood. I would ask to see this policy in writing, if I were you, and might ask my physician to send a note indicating that you do not pose a threat to anyone else's health at work.

Nancy Breuer

Lying while interviewing for a new job
workplace transmission