Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lying while interviewing for a new job
May 20, 1997

I am looking for a job after being out of work and on disability for one year. I would like to keep my HIV status private. How can I honestly explain what I was doing for the past year. I've been telling people I had to take care of my sick mother. Is there some way my employer will discover my status--i.e. if I get the job through health insurance or life insurance forms?

Response from Ms. Breuer

I took your question to an attorney at EEOC who specializes in these issues. The attorney recommended that you explain the gap in your employment history in these words: "I was dealing with a family illness." It's absolutely true and helps you to avoid lying in the interview. If you get the job, and if your medical and life insurance benefits are on group policies through your employer, then you will not have to complete detailed applications for either as far as I know. Even when you begin to use the health insurance plan for HIV-related visits, your employer should receive only summary data from the plan, not data tied to any one name. Linking a name to a condition is a violation of the confidentiality of medical information. Worst case scenario: even if your employer were to learn of your HIV status through a poorly-constructed insurance plan reporting process, your employer cannot terminate your employment simply because you have HIV.

- Nancy Breuer

Previous
What are my rights when trying to return to Work?
Next
How about HCV in the workplace?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.