Employment

I have been medically retired from the Federal Governemet for 3 years. I am healthy and have had no OI's. My question is: If I decide to return to work, is my former employer, a VA Hospital, obligated to offer me a job?

Response from Ms. Breuer

In general, an employer is not legally obligated to reemploy you after three years. However, an employer like the federal government may have special rules regarding the rehiring of previous employed workers. You should contact the Human Resources division for the branch of the Federal Government where you were employed (i.e. Health and Human Services for the VA Hospital). You should inquire about rules relating to reemployment in your classification. If you were member of a federal workers union, you should also contact your union representative for assistance.

David Grunwald, Esq.,

RETURNING TO WORK
What are my rights when trying to return to Work?