Drug Testing

I have been offered a position with a four star hotel in my city, if the final requirement is met. That being a drug screening for "A drug free workplace". Since I have used illegal drugs are there other findings they could use to deny me employment? Are they allowed to check for hiv or hiv drugs or drugs such as Xanax?What are their limits under the law? Thank you for your help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Employment drug testing is used to test for the use of illegal drugs. The panels used do not pick up drugs like Prozac, HIV medications, etc. The lab doing the testing panels usually interviews the person and finds out what medications he or she is taking. Therefore, even if an individual tests positive on a panel, if the medication is prescribed for a medical purpose, the lab will notify the company that there was a positive test result but verify that it is for a medication which is being used in accordance with a medical prescription and under medical supervision. For example, this can happen with codeine and/ or antidepressants. - Lynn Franzoi

opinion on whether or not AIDS testing is necessary?
problems and concerns about returning to the workplace after being a long term surviver