Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can I be tested for hiv for a civil service job
Jan 28, 2000

I am applying for a position for the Las Vegas police Department.I am in great health and have been for a long time. I have passed most of the requirements for this position but the last being a medical exam.It states they perform routine blood work. Can they or will they perform test for my hiv status or will they ask me about certain drugs that show up in my urine or blood, and can any of this be used against me in any way shape or form for not hiring me? HELP

Response from Ms. Gabriel

"Routine" blood work does not usually include an HIV test. If you are being tested for HIV antibodies you should be notified. As for the drug testing, anti-HIV drugs (protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors) should not trigger any response in a routine drug test. Please consult an AIDS attorney in your area before disclosing your HIV status to your prospective employer - you can't take it back. Legally, the ADA protects you from discrimination in the workplace -- and that includes the hiring process. Remember, you must be able to do the essential functions of the job!

Best of luck and be careful!

Lynne Gabriel

Previous
MEDS AND TAKING DRUG TEST
Next
mandatory HIV testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.