MEDS AND TAKING DRUG TEST

I HAVE TO TAKE A DRUG TEST BEFORE I AM HIRED ON A JOB THAT I AM TRYING TO GET. I WAS TOLD THAT SOMETIMES THE MEDICINE THAT I HAVE TO TAKE WILL SHOW UP AS NARCOTICS. I WAS WONDERING WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR DRUG TEST. I REALLY DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW MY STATUS BECAUSE IT DOES NOR EFFECT MY JOB. I HAVE TAKEN NON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS YEARS AGO BUT I DON'T THINK THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE SINCE I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY DRUGS IN OVER 5 YEARS. I REALLY NEED THIS JOB SO ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATIVE.

THANK YOU

Response from Ms. Gabriel

Please talk with your physician or pharmacist about any drugs your are taking that may effect your drug test -- such as the situation you describe as possibly triggering a narcotic response. According to my pharmacist, the anti-HIV drugs (protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors)would not trigger a response to commonly used employement-related drug tests. If, after taking the drug test, you find that it shows a positive reaction to one of your prescription drugs you should get an explanation, in writing, from your doctor.

Remember, you are not obligated to disclose your diagnosis to your employer. Please take care and good luck!

Lynne Gabriel

Medicare vs. conversion policy
can I be tested for hiv for a civil service job