The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If I divorce him can he still get coverage?
Jul 16, 1997

My husband was diagnosed with HIV and he's on my insurance plan at work. If I divorce him can he still get coverage?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are covered under an employer's plan, are currently covering your husband as a dependent under your plan, and your employer has at least 20 employees, your husband, upon your divorce or legal separation, will be eligible for up to 36 months of COBRA coverage under your plan. You must notify your employer within 30 days of your divorce or legal separation in order for your husband to be eligible for COBRA continuation coverage.

-- Lynn Franzoi

Can I get life insurance?
Is it true people with HIV can get Health Insurance?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint