Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reinstate Life Insurance Policy
Mar 4, 1998

I am an American, but live in Hong Kong. I have been holding on to a 20,000 life insurance policy as a hold over of my US based job layoff 3 years ago. The premiums are only $8.00 per year - easy. Its the only insurance I have, and for 8.00 a year I want to keep it. Over the past 2 years, the company has sent out reminder notices to me for the $8.00 and I have made payments based on these reminders. This year payment was due on Nov 17, 1997 with a 1 month grace period. They sent the reminder noticed postmarked December 9 from Portland to my Hong Kong address. I was on a Christmas break and missed the mail. I called immediately when I discovered the notice. They said I could reinstate the policy but would have to show evidence of insurability. Am I not insurable because I am HIV+? Do I have any "case" to claim that they did not remind me in sufficient time and should let me continue the policy that I have had for almost 9 years now? I know, I know, if it was so important to me - I should have marked my calender, but geez, I was depending on their reminders. "Don't try this at home kids". I'm so frustrated - the policy has become kind of an emotional security blanket.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I would suggest that you ask your former employer, in light of the late date on which he notified you of the renewal, to advise the insurance carrier of the circumstances. I think there is a good chance that the insurance carrier would agree to reinstate the policy without evidence. If you do succeed in getting the policy reinstated, please set up a reminder to yourself to followup each November or ask the insurance company to bill you directly.

Lynn Franzoi

Previous
Health Insurance for HIV in Massachusetts
Next
End of Year and Benefits Max Out.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.