Answer Please

I wrote you several weeks ago concerning looking for another job and I really need to make a move soon. I need to know what to do about finding out whether if I change jobs my husband will be covered under my insurance with his positive status. The company I work for now, insurance has a $1,000. lifetime max on HIV. I do not want to change jobs again only to have the same thing happen. Right now we are having a really hard time getting his meds because, he has COBRA that's no longer using a drug card. We can not afford to pay for his drugs and get reimbursed later @ 60%. And the other drug programs won't help us because he does have insurance. The best solution seems to be for me to get another job with a drug card that will cover him. Please advise.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you get a new job, review the summary plan description for the new health plan carefully to determine what is covered, what is excluded, any limits or maximums on benefits, etc. If your husband has been continuously covered for at least 12 months and he doesn't have a break in coverage of more than 63 days, the new employer's plan would not be able to impose a pre-existing condition clause on him.

Lynn

private vs. group
Supplemental Life Insurance after merger