private vs. group

Here is my question. I have had private insurance with Principle since i left a job in 90. At that time I COBRA'd the insurance an then picked up a conversion plan.

In the past two years I have been working for a major company that provides group insurance through United Health. Rather than pick up my companies insurance I have kept my private policy in fear of losing insurance if I should choose to leave this company. First I don't know if this insurance would begin paying my expensive prescriptions immediately. Second if people would discover my status through work -- which I do know legally is private but.......Third if I should leave this company from what I understand this company does not have a conversion plan and could I afford and could I find an insurance company that I could afford if I chose to leave this job.

What concerns me at this time is the fact that the insurance I have has a 250,000 limit on it and I have already used 50,000 of it.

I cannot seem to find a qualified person in my area that can give me specific legal answers to these questions and help me determine a qualified decision. I have tried the local aids groups and even called Florida's insurance department and everyone seems to give vague answers that leave me nervous and indecisive about what is best for me insurance wise. Can you help?

Hope you can help -- Thanks

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I hope the following helps. First, review the summary plan description for the health plan to determine what it covers for prescriptions. Second, no one should be able to find out your health status from you using the employer's plan. Third, when you leave your current employer, you will be eligible for COBRA. When COBRA expires, you would be eligible for a HIPAA policy.

Lynn

Issues When Moving From individual Ins. to Employer Group Plan
Answer Please