Exclusions for HIV

I asked this question several months ago and still have received no answer. I believe it could be very important to anyone with HIV or a partner of someone with HIV trying to change jobs or re-enter the workplace, so here it is again. I changed jobs several months ago. It was not until 60 days later that I received my insurance papers stating that their was a provision in the exclusions section limiting coverage for HIV/AIDS to $1,000. lifetime max. which as we all know is like excluding the whole disease. I am now afraid of changing jobs and getting into this situation again. I have actually asked prospective employers to show mr their policies. Some have refused, most have wanted to know why. Is their any solution to this problem? By the way I love and appreciate your forum, but no new answers for 3 months is kind of long. thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

An employer must provide his employees with a summary plan description which outlines the benefits under the plan - what is covered, what the exclusions are, co-pays, any annual or lifetime maximums, etc. You should probably ask to see the employee handbook or the summary plan description explaining the benefits. Employers who would be unwilling to share their insurance policies and plan documents with prospective employees will usually provide a prospective employee with the summary plan description.

Lynn

Temporary work and Medical insurance
getting married