Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exclusions for HIV
Aug 1, 2000

I asked this question several months ago and still have received no answer. I believe it could be very important to anyone with HIV or a partner of someone with HIV trying to change jobs or re-enter the workplace, so here it is again. I changed jobs several months ago. It was not until 60 days later that I received my insurance papers stating that their was a provision in the exclusions section limiting coverage for HIV/AIDS to $1,000. lifetime max. which as we all know is like excluding the whole disease. I am now afraid of changing jobs and getting into this situation again. I have actually asked prospective employers to show mr their policies. Some have refused, most have wanted to know why. Is their any solution to this problem? By the way I love and appreciate your forum, but no new answers for 3 months is kind of long. thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

An employer must provide his employees with a summary plan description which outlines the benefits under the plan - what is covered, what the exclusions are, co-pays, any annual or lifetime maximums, etc. You should probably ask to see the employee handbook or the summary plan description explaining the benefits. Employers who would be unwilling to share their insurance policies and plan documents with prospective employees will usually provide a prospective employee with the summary plan description.

Lynn

Previous
Temporary work and Medical insurance
Next
getting married

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.