Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv pre-existing condition?
Aug 1, 2000

When I began my job after a few months I found out that I was HIV poz. 4 years later I became ill with an aids defining condition. My disability plan specifies that they will not cover any pre-existing conditions. Described as a condition that you receive drugs for within in the first year of employment. My question is this -- Is Hiv considered a pre-existing condition for aids,if I was healthy for 4 years after starting my job, then became sick will the policy cover me?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I think you might be misreading the pre-existing condition language. Typically a disability plan states that if you have seen a doctor or taken medication for a particular illness during the 90 days prior to the date your coverage takes effect and you become disabled during the first twelve months of coverage due to that illness, it will not be covered. This is not what you are describing. Please read your summary plan description more carefully to see if it is as I described. If you would send the exact language from your plan, I could tell you whether or not the preexisting condition would apply to you.

Lynn

Previous
Transfer of insurance
Next
Employer switching insurance plans, what can they know?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.