hiv pre-existing condition?

When I began my job after a few months I found out that I was HIV poz. 4 years later I became ill with an aids defining condition. My disability plan specifies that they will not cover any pre-existing conditions. Described as a condition that you receive drugs for within in the first year of employment. My question is this -- Is Hiv considered a pre-existing condition for aids,if I was healthy for 4 years after starting my job, then became sick will the policy cover me?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I think you might be misreading the pre-existing condition language. Typically a disability plan states that if you have seen a doctor or taken medication for a particular illness during the 90 days prior to the date your coverage takes effect and you become disabled during the first twelve months of coverage due to that illness, it will not be covered. This is not what you are describing. Please read your summary plan description more carefully to see if it is as I described. If you would send the exact language from your plan, I could tell you whether or not the preexisting condition would apply to you.

Lynn

Transfer of insurance
Employer switching insurance plans, what can they know?