The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance for a Foreign Individual
Oct 22, 2004

Recently I was informed I am HIV+, though according to my doctors right now I do not need meds. I work for a subsidiary of an US company in Latin America. My local health policy not cover HIV related issues (it is formally indicated that the y will only cover no more than USD 5 thousands!!!. I am exploring the possibility to improve my insurance coverage going forward. Some ideas I have in mind but I need guidance: a) can I have individual health coverage in the US being HIV+ (I heard some companies specially offers that coverage); b) The policy of my holding company in the US can work for me if I am not a resident or US Citizen? assuming that I can be included after being HIV+; c) A Social Security number helps in any way if your annual income is more than USD 50 thousand a year; d) If a SSN is a possibility to get some kind of insurance, this number is only for US workers (it means aliens with a valid visa), or for example there is a way to get a SSN additional to the visa procedure (maybe as a student of a second or third degree program: an MBA), or as an employee of an US company but living abroad?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for my English...

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since you are employed in Latin America, you would not be able to purchase a policy in the U. S. to cover you as a foreign national in Latin America. You would have to check with local insurers to determine what is available in the country you reside in. If you were to transfer to a position in the U.S. with your company, you would be eligible to be covered under their U.S. health plan as long as you were hired in a class of employees eligible for coverage. There might or might not be a pre-existing exclusion clause in the plan but the maximum period it could apply is 12 months. Most U.S. plans do not cover foreign nationals employed overseas.

Private Disability Insurance
New Employer and health insurance enrollment questions.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint