The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV - FSA Eligible Expenses
Dec 18, 2006

I was diagnosed over a year ago and am fortunate to have a great support network - family, friends, work, etc. I am trying to do everything right, including 100% adherence to meds (VL undetectable, T's doing great, etc.), exercise, eating better, etc.

I started to see both a medical nutrition therapist to help in coaching on dietary/nutrition issues and a massage therapsit because of the studied and reported effects on immunological function. I have searched and searched on the Net, on here, etc. but can't find an answer as to whether these are potentially FSA-reimbursable services/visits. My PCP referred me to the nutrition therapist and my HIV specialist encouraged massage therapy and training.

Just looking for ways to soften the many financial blows of taking care of myself so I am here a long time!

Thanks for your great service, friendliness and help - you and this site were a beacon of light to myself, my family and friends during an otherwise rough time!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Eligible expenses under a health FSA are generally those expenses that are incurred for medical care as defined unde IRS Code Section 123. Expenses that are merely beneficial to the general well being or health of a person are not considered medical care. Although herbs, supplements, vitamins, etc. are usually not covered, if an attending physician prescribes them and cites the specific medical condition for which they are being used, they might be covered. I suggest you contact your FSA administrator to determine which services will be covered.

Still active?
Company changing group insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint