The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

workmans comp and needle sticks
Apr 7, 2006

I am a nurse and a few days ago accidentally got stuck with a possible infected needle. The problem I'm having is workmans comp. says they do not pay for prevention and will only pay for my meds. if I do contract HIV! Is this a common policy for w.c.? While my employer debates if they will pick up the tab I am currently paying for it due to it's time sensitive nature to start treatment. Please let me know if you have any info about this.

Thank You

B. Slaughter

Response from Ms. Breuer

This is a new one to me. I cannot imagine refusing to pay for one month of preventive treatment for a potentially very expensive infection. They may have a general policy that they don't pay for preventive care, but this is emergency antiretroviral therapy in response to a workplace exposure.

My guess is that you haven't been talking with the correct person. Stay focused, stay polite, take the name of the person you're speaking with and ask for that person's supervisor. Keep working up the chain if you need to. This is indeed, in my experience, a valid worker's comp claim. If no one at the insurer is willing to help you, take this concern to you state department of insurance. You're not asking for well baby care here; you're asking for treatment to keep a worker's comp injury from getting much worse.

I'm sorry they're giving you such a hard time, but you have a situation worth pursuing. Whatever you do, don't stop or postpone the treatment just because the financial issues are unresolved.

Unique Exposure
What can I do about PML

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint