Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Women and KS
Nov 22, 2001

I have a female friend who was recently diagnosed with KS. She aparently has numerous tumors in the gastrointestinal track as well as some pulmonary involvement since she was first being treated for pneumonia. I was wondering how common this is, since she is the first woman I have heard of to have KS. I don't even hear of too many men having KS right now.

Response from Dr. Aberg

KS or Kaposi's sarcoma is a type of vascular tumor that has been associated with a vrus, human herpes virus 8. This virus may be transmitted sexually. You are correct that it is more common among homosexual men and has been reported in less than 2% of women with an AIDS defining illness. When it is found in women, it is uaually associated with women who had bisexual men as partners, used IV drugs or received blood transfusions. Since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy, the number of cases of KS has diminished.

Previous
am i infected through my tatoo
Next
The side effects of AIDS medication on women?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.