Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Women and KS

I have a female friend who was recently diagnosed with KS. She aparently has numerous tumors in the gastrointestinal track as well as some pulmonary involvement since she was first being treated for pneumonia. I was wondering how common this is, since she is the first woman I have heard of to have KS. I don't even hear of too many men having KS right now.

Response from Dr. Aberg

KS or Kaposi's sarcoma is a type of vascular tumor that has been associated with a vrus, human herpes virus 8. This virus may be transmitted sexually. You are correct that it is more common among homosexual men and has been reported in less than 2% of women with an AIDS defining illness. When it is found in women, it is uaually associated with women who had bisexual men as partners, used IV drugs or received blood transfusions. Since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy, the number of cases of KS has diminished.

am i infected through my tatoo
The side effects of AIDS medication on women?