Women and HIVWomen and HIV

helping HIV+ 2 years old child

Here in Italy, some doctors says that antiretroviral therapy is a big failure and it's useless; some others say the opposite.

I'm helping an orphan child affected by HIV. He lives in Nyumbani (Nairobi).

I received your address by the program coordinator of Elizabeth Glaser AIDS foundation.

I hope you can give me some advice.

Can I help the child, paying monotherapy for him?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Antiretroviral therapy can be very effective in preventing HIV disease in children if a combination of antiretroviral drugs are used, and the child takes the medicine as directed. However, monotherapy is only effective for several weeks typically and then resistance develops so if antiretrovirals are used they should be used in combination.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

HIV treatment during pregnancy
transmission to children