The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared im infected do normal blood test show hiv results
Oct 13, 2001

a year ago i sleeped with a guy who i now suspect has hiv, after about 4 months i notice dark blemishes around my genitals and they have been spreading.My doctor told me i had trush, but i'd had trush befor and this was'nt it , the cream my doctor gave me didnt work. Latly i can hardly walk .I would like to know, if you have a blood test , do they test for hiv or just i spusific thing. I'm scared i may be infected, please help me.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I do not know what the dark blemishes in your genital area is. It is almost impossible to say what a rash is from without seeing it. I am not sure if you are confusing terms used to call yeast infections. Your doctor may have said that you have a yeast infection in your genital area called vaginal candidiasis or vulvovaginal candidiasis. Thrush is a yeast infection that you get in your mouth. Did you have yeast in your mouth as well?

It is not unusual for women to get yeast infections especially if one is taking antibiotics. I worry that if the pain is so bad that you can hardly walk if you may have worsening yeast infection or another infection such as genital warts or herpes. You should either go back to your doctor or go to someone who specializes in women's health called a gynecologist for another examination.

Yeast infections do not mean you have HIV. Women with and without HIV get yeast infections in the genital areas at about equal frequency. Thrush, on the other hand, is more common in women with HIV than without HIV. Nevertheless, the fact that you had sex with someone you suspect has HIV, is reason enough to get tested for HIV. Please read my other comments about getting tested. HIV is not routinely done. You have to give consent for a HIV test.

scared to death....please help!
hiv and the menopause

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint