Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared to death....please help!
Oct 13, 2001

I had unprotected sex last month and in july, since then i have had symptoms of hiv-fatigue, swollen gland on the left side of my neck, and white thrush on my tongue. ive never had these symptoms before so im really worried, should i get tested for hiv...im i worrying over nothing?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Anyone who has unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status they do not know, should get tested for HIV. There are 2 reasons to get tested. One, if your test is positive, you can get the care you need. Two, if the test is negative, you will spend time receiving post-test counselling which will discuss ways to protect yourself from acquiring HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

I do not know what you have currently. Yes, it may be early signs of HIV and given the fact that you have had unproteced sex, you should get tested. But, you may have an illness other than HIV such as another common type of viral infection, a bacterial infection of your throat, tonsil or lymph mode or even a dental abscess. Remember you can get other sexually transmitted diseases in your throat if you had oral sex including herpes and gonorrhea. I suggest you see your doctor for a complete examination and a HIV test

Previous
Little worry
Next
scared im infected do normal blood test show hiv results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.