Women and HIVWomen and HIV

scared to death....please help!

I had unprotected sex last month and in july, since then i have had symptoms of hiv-fatigue, swollen gland on the left side of my neck, and white thrush on my tongue. ive never had these symptoms before so im really worried, should i get tested for hiv...im i worrying over nothing?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Anyone who has unprotected sex with someone whose HIV status they do not know, should get tested for HIV. There are 2 reasons to get tested. One, if your test is positive, you can get the care you need. Two, if the test is negative, you will spend time receiving post-test counselling which will discuss ways to protect yourself from acquiring HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

I do not know what you have currently. Yes, it may be early signs of HIV and given the fact that you have had unproteced sex, you should get tested. But, you may have an illness other than HIV such as another common type of viral infection, a bacterial infection of your throat, tonsil or lymph mode or even a dental abscess. Remember you can get other sexually transmitted diseases in your throat if you had oral sex including herpes and gonorrhea. I suggest you see your doctor for a complete examination and a HIV test

Little worry
scared im infected do normal blood test show hiv results