Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Little worry

I have sex with my boyfriend who has HIV. Although he use condem eveytime, I still little worry about it. I want to know if just ordinary blood text would show any indication that I have or not have got HIV. Another question how long will the HIV virus in semen die after the semem comes out of the body?

Response from Dr. Aberg

Yes, if your boyfriend is HIV positive, you should get a HIV test to see if you have acquired HIV from him. "Ordinary" blood tests do not test for HIV. You must consent to get a HIV test done. I would suggest you go to a public health center or your doctor so they can go into further details on how to prevent transmission of HIV. You should not be in contact with his semen. Once the semen is dry, the HIV is no longer transmissable but even so, I would try to avoid having contact with any of his secretions. I am glad you are using a condom everytime. I know this is difficult but it is really important to avoid getting HIV. It sounds like you have a very good relationship with your boyfriend. Maybe he could go to the doctor or health center with you. They can clarify any of your concerns that you may have. There are many myths out there so it is good to get the facts.

positive screening means hiv+?
scared to death....please help!