Women and HIVWomen and HIV

wife has hiv for 10 years and never taken any meds

my wife is hiv pos.for ten years now never taken any meds.she now is in icu at the hospital.i am very woried she is 34 and has had a stroke and doctors are not telling me anything her platelet count had droped to 2000 and is now 38000 wat can i expect the outcome to be.her hands shake so bad i go to the hospital to feed her what do think that is from

Response from Dr. Aberg

You need to talk with the doctors taking care of your wife. There can be several reasons why your wife had a stroke and low platelets including some that may be related to her HIV and others totally unrelated to HIV. I do not have enough information from what you told me and I do not want to give you the wrong information.

I know you are really scared and saddened by your wife's illness. It is really important that you sit down with her doctors and ask them what they believe is going on. Many times people are too shy to approach doctors or afraid they are bothering them. Be assertive and keep asking questions until you feel you have gotten all the information you need. If you get additional information and you want me to help, send me another e-mail.

viralload and TCell changes without meds
Female to Female infection