Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viralload and TCell changes without meds
Sep 10, 2001

I've been HIV positive for 2 years. In my last tests my viral load increased from 2800 to 20,000 and t-cells dropped from 505 to 479 in 4 mos. Is it possible my viral load could decrease and t-cell count increase significantly without meds? Is that common?

Response from Dr. Aberg

First let me assure you that you have not had a significant change in your CD4 count. A CD4 count could vary from 479 to 505 during the course of a day. Your viral load should be repeated again to confirm what it is. The viral load can vary as well but yours was slightly more than usual. You want to follow trends. Have your CD4 count and viral load measured every 3 months. If your viral load continues to rise, then you probably will need to start therapy sooner than if it stays low like this. Your viral load and CD4 count will vary slightly during the day and from day to day. You should talk with your doctor about the type of assays s/he is using and find out what the variability of the assay is. In other words, what is the range you could expect when your CD4 or viral load is x amount. Also, your CD4 count and viral load may vary depending on other health issues. Even a simple cold can cause a decrease in the CD4 count and increase in the viral load. So, yes, the changes in your CD4 count and viral load are commonly seen and you should continue to see your doctor for regular check-ups.

Previous
KNOWINGLY SPREADING HIV
Next
wife has hiv for 10 years and never taken any meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.