Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Indeteminate results

I recently had a hiv test and it came back indeterminate,i waited 3 weeks and had another,same thing.I haven't had a partner since May 2000,and have not used drugs.What could cause this,my dr. says t sounds like it could be changing to postive,but how?

Response from Dr. Aberg

There are many reasons why your HIV test can be indeterminate. Your doctor is correct that it could represent early HIV infection. I am assuming that your screening test called an ELISA was positive and the western blot (a confirmatory test) is indeterminate. Other reasons besides early infection include other viral illnesses, pregnancy, recent vaccination and connective tissue disorders. You may want to have your doctor check a HIV viral load which measures the amount of HIV in the blood. Individuals may have low levels of detectable virus which may also be a false positive but a high level of virus plus an indeterminate test would be more suggestive of early HIV disease. You need to have a follow up ELISA and if positive, a western blot done 12 weeks from your initial indeterminate test. If your test stays indeterminate, your doctor may want to look for the other conditions that may cause this indeterminate result.

Immune-globulin and HIV?
clear this up please.