Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indeteminate results
Aug 26, 2001

I recently had a hiv test and it came back indeterminate,i waited 3 weeks and had another,same thing.I haven't had a partner since May 2000,and have not used drugs.What could cause this,my dr. says t sounds like it could be changing to postive,but how?

Response from Dr. Aberg

There are many reasons why your HIV test can be indeterminate. Your doctor is correct that it could represent early HIV infection. I am assuming that your screening test called an ELISA was positive and the western blot (a confirmatory test) is indeterminate. Other reasons besides early infection include other viral illnesses, pregnancy, recent vaccination and connective tissue disorders. You may want to have your doctor check a HIV viral load which measures the amount of HIV in the blood. Individuals may have low levels of detectable virus which may also be a false positive but a high level of virus plus an indeterminate test would be more suggestive of early HIV disease. You need to have a follow up ELISA and if positive, a western blot done 12 weeks from your initial indeterminate test. If your test stays indeterminate, your doctor may want to look for the other conditions that may cause this indeterminate result.

Previous
Immune-globulin and HIV?
Next
clear this up please.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.