Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Immune-globulin and HIV?

Have you ever heard of, or know of anyone who became HIV infected due to an injection of immuno-globulin? I had a splenectomy in 1991 for ITP and was given immune-globulin prior to the surgery. In 1992 I had shingles and in 1997 was diagnosed HIV positive. I have been in 3 monogomous relationships in 12 years, and all 3 tested negative. Could this possibly have been the source of my infection?

Response from Dr. Aberg

In the United States, this would be highly improbable. All blood products are tested for HIV. Were you HIV tested in 1991? ITP may be an early manifestation of HIV so you may have been HIV positive when you were diagnosed with ITP 10 years ago. I do not know what/who the actual source of your infection is but at this point dwelling on where you contracted the virus won't change things. I know it is frustrating not to know and this not knowing where or why can cause lots of anxiety. It is best to move forward and keep yourself as healthy as positive. Remember that after a splenectomy your CD4 count will be higher than it actually is. You should follow your CD4 percent.

HIV/HCV coinfected
Indeteminate results