Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV/HCV coinfected

Dear Dr. Aberg, Re: women with HIV/HCV. My friend was just diagnosed (HCV probably 20 years, HIV probably 3). I have been reading enormous amounts of info but the other day I read that women were rarely included in medical trials. And I THINK the article said that some of their numbers were likely to be different in some areas than men's. I know this sounds kind of vague but should she expect some numbers to be different, and if so, which ones and why? I know that's a lot of questions in one...sorry! Thank you! Concerned Friend

Response from Dr. Aberg

Your questions are very vague and I really do not know what you are asking. Yes, it is true that women are under-represented in clinical trials. This was especially true in HIV because HIV was disproportionately infecting gay white men in the USA. Now the demographics of the disease have changed and more women, particularly women of color, are being infected. My own personal experience has been that it is more difficult to enroll women in trials. I am not sure I understand all the reasons why but women do need to take a more active role in participating in research.

I don't know what numbers you are talking about. There are gender differences in many diseases. I suggest you go back to your articles or scan our web site for more information. Please read the HIV and Hepatitis forum. Hopefully this will help with your questions.

Wrroied and need to make sure!
Immune-globulin and HIV?