Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Many attempts and I am worried please help!

Okay I took a hiv test in feb. 2001 elisa postive western blot negative after 27 days. Retest 22 weeks after the last possible time I did anything and I was hiv negative. Is that enough time to know I am indeed negative. I was pregnant with the first test and also had a sugar test done the same day and was told those things could throw it off. Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Aberg

The Elisa test can have false positives which is why it must always be confirmed by a western blot. I cannot say why you had a false positive Elisa but the fact that you have 2 western blots 22 weeks apart means you do not have HIV. Obviously, if you have had an exposure in between or recently, then you should get tested.

Rash
woman to woman transmission